Smarmore Castle Drug & Alcohol Rehab
Coming Soon – Smarmore Castle’s hyperbaric chamber is now on-site, although this service is not yet operational.
What Is It?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) uses oxygen at an increased pressure in an enclosed chamber. At Smarmore treatment takes place in a single-person pressurised chamber, where patients breathe pure oxygen through a mask.
What Does It Do?
HBOT increases oxygen levels in the bloodstream, stimulating the repair of damaged organs and tissues, including the liver and brain cells.
How can HBOT Help Patients with Alcohol and Drug Addiction?
Smarmore clinic is the first alcohol and drug addiction clinic in Ireland to offer hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) to its patients. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has many health benefits:
- It accelerates the detoxification process as it helps clear toxins that are stored in the brain as a result of alcohol and drug abuse and is especially beneficial for liver damaged patients;
- Years of alcohol and drug abuse can result in brain damage and cognitive impairment. Research points to the renewal of brain tissue under HBOT, otherwise known as neurogenesis;
- It helps repair affected cells by increasing tissue regeneration, generating new blood vessels, decreasing swelling and inflammation and supplying damaged organs with a highly oxygenated blood-flow;
- Increases stem cell production by 800%. Stem cells regenerate tissues damaged by alcohol and drug abuse in organs like the pancreas, liver and brain;
- Increases serotonin, the feel-good hormone, in the brain;
- The brain-altering effects of drugs and alcohol consumption cause disruptive sleep patterns. Breathing pure oxygen enhances quality of sleep, leading to superior decision-making and emotional control;
- It has been proven to stimulate the appetite. Healthy, regular eating is an essential part of our addiction treatment programme as many addicts suffer from eating disorders.
HBOT sessions are supervised by qualified technicians at Smarmore clinic and we ensure that patients are comfortable during treatment.
Oxygen controls over 300 genes and increases the production of stem cells. To find out more about this type of therapy, visit The Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Trust website or download the Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Trust Factsheet.
Download our Brochure
- How to Access Rehab With Health Insurance
For those experiencing existing mental health conditions in Ireland, there are private medical insurers who can help you cover treatment. As addiction experts, we know that receiving the appropriate care and support when you have a mental health disorder is pivotal to attaining long-lasting recovery. Below, we will go through the various health insurance options to help you understand your options when it comes to seeking private residential care for substance abuse. Please note that there is no guarantee that you can be covered for all addiction problems as policies are always assessed on a case-by-case basis. Find Out More
- My Loved One Doesn’t Want Help, What Do I Do?
You can’t force someone to go to rehab. At the end of the day, it needs to be their decision because they are the ones that need to be open to turning their lives around. There are ways in which you can encourage someone to enter treatment, one of these ways is via an intervention with a trained interventionist, who facilitates an honest discussion between family members and the addict. This is something Smarmore Castle can arrange – contact us today.
- Which Drugs Does Smarmore Castle Detox From?
- How Long Is the Treatment Programme?
Our treatment programme starts at 4 weeks and is flexible in length, giving you the opportunity to extend for a longer period if you need it.
- Do You Treat Dual Diagnosis?
All patients are reviewed by a consultant psychiatrist in the first week and we can diagnose and provide treatment for a number of co-occurring mental health conditions.
- Do I Need to Be Abstinent Before Admission?
Our medically managed detoxification with 24/7 medical cover means that we can perform complete and complex detoxes at Smarmore Castle. You don’t need to be abstinent before arrival.
- How Do I Get To Rehab Safely?
Smarmore Castle is one hour north of Dublin international airport and we can arrange a driver to collect you and bring you straight to us for free.
We can also arrange a ‘sober transport’ service with a trusted driver, from anywhere in Ireland or Northern Ireland, at an additional cost.
Smarmore, Ardee, Co. Louth, A92 YY22, Ireland
+353 (0) 41 214 5111