Safe & Expert Addiction Treatment & Detox
Smarmore Castle is celebrating its parent company Castle Craig’s 30th anniversary by co-launching the first annual International Essay Competition. Smarmore Castle is celebrating its parent company Castle Craig’s 30th anniversary by co-launching the first annual International Essay Competition.
In an effort to support the growing need for innovative research and development in the field of Behavioral addiction study and treatment, this competition is intended for all students of medicine, psychology, nursing, psychotherapy, and social work.
The deadline for submissions is December 31, 2018, with the winners announced on the 30th of April 2019.
The winning submissions will be published online by May 1, 2019, on the Castle Craig Hospital website.
The three essay questions are:
- Is addiction to a drug a brain disease?
- What is the role of psychotherapy in realising and sustaining recovery from addiction?
- ‘Society holds the solution to addiction because social problems are the main cause.’ Discuss.
The award for 1st prize is £1,000, and there will be up to 5 runner-up prizes of £250. Additional notable submissions will receive a written commendation.
Submissions will be accepted until Midnight on the 30th of December 2018.
Download our Brochure
1. The essay should be 3000 words or less (Not including the Title page, Bibliography, or References). Essays of more than 3000 words will be disqualified. The judges are looking for a well-written, original, and interesting essay, including references.
2. The essay topic must rely on one of the three essay titles listed on this page.
3. The entry must be word processed and well-presented.
4. Please include a separate title page showing the essay title, your name, your university or college, and the full word count.
All pages of the essay must include the essay title as a header, and the page number as a footer (page numbering to begin on the first page of the essay – not the title page).
Your name, academic institution, or other identifiers should not appear on any page other than the title page, otherwise, the essay will be returned to you for modification.
5. All entries must be accompanied by a signed entry form sent by post or electronic form. Essays received without an assigned entry form will be disqualified. Submissions by fax will not be accepted. E-signature is acceptable, as is a scanned document of the entry form.
6. Essays may be submitted as a hard copy by post, or as a Microsoft Word document email attachment sent to email@example.com – Please specify on the entry form by ticking the correct box.
7. Both the entry form and the essay must reach Castle Craig Hospital by 30th December 2018 – late entries cannot be accepted. No allowance will be made for postage or email failure etc. We will notify you when we receive your entry.
8. The competition is open to all students studying Medicine, Psychology, Nursing, Psychotherapy, Social Work, or a related discipline. Only single-author entries can be accepted.
9. Any suspicion of plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
10. The judges’ decision is final for all aspects of the competition.
11. Submissions must be in English. Entrants should mention if English is not their native language. Allowances will be made for those submissions.
12. The Winners will be announced by the 30th of April 2018 with the winning essay being published online on the 1st of May 2019.
13. I hereby assign to Castle Craig Hospital the copyright in the essay submitted (the “Essay”), excluding the moral rights to the Essay, absolutely throughout the world, in all languages, for the full period of copyright. For the avoidance of doubt, this assignment includes the right to supply the article in the electronic and online form.
Poster for Classroom Bulletins – Click Here
Quick Assessment & Admissions
More information on the Castle Craig Essay Competition is available HERE