Safe & Expert Addiction Treatment & Detox
Guidance on avoidance of prescription drugs and over-the-counter medication
This group of drugs includes benzodiazepines, e.g. Ativan, Diazepam, Librium and Xanax.
Sleeping medications are sedative and dependence-inducing. You should aim to establish a normal sleep pattern without mood-altering chemicals.
Cough Mixtures and Expectorants
Many of these contain codeine or morphine derivatives, alcohol, and antihistamines. Honey and lemon is a safe alternatives. You should avoid sedative expectorants and sedating cough medications, e.g. Benylin. Many of these contain antihistamines and are mood-altering.
Download our Brochure
You should avoid those painkillers which are derivatives of opioids, e.g. codeine, co-codamol DF118, and tramadol. Even paracetamol should be used sparingly and with caution unless prescribed.
These include Piriton, a sedative hay fever drug available over the counter.
You should avoid these unless prescribed by your doctor for clinical depression.
Kaolin & Morphine
Avoid anti-diarrhoeal drugs which contain morphine.
Avoid All Unnecessary Drugs Sold at Chemists’ Shops.
- Ensure that you have a clear medical condition warranting.
- Prescription of any medications that could be mood-altering.
- Avoid seeking “a pill for every ill”.
- Recovery from alcoholism and addictive disease requires abstinence from all unnecessary mind-altering drugs.
- Alcoholics and addicts are addiction-prone and therefore vulnerable to the effects of a wide range of mood-altering drugs.
- There is a risk of relapse with the use of tranquillisers, painkillers, sleeping tablets, and a range of medications available from the pharmacy shop.
- These chemicals can reactivate the compulsive drive and lead to eventual relapse, and as such should be avoided.
- How to Access Rehab With Health Insurance
For those experiencing existing mental health conditions in Ireland, there are private medical insurers who can help you cover treatment. As addiction experts, we know that receiving the appropriate care and support when you have a mental health disorder is pivotal to attaining long-lasting recovery. Below, we will go through the various health insurance options to help you understand your options when it comes to seeking private residential care for substance abuse. Please note that there is no guarantee that you can be covered for all addiction problems as policies are always assessed on a case-by-case basis. Find Out More
- Do I Need to Be Abstinent Before Admission?
Our medically managed detoxification with 24/7 medical cover means that we can perform complete and complex detoxes at Smarmore Castle. You don’t need to be abstinent before arrival.
- Do You Treat Dual Diagnosis?
All patients are reviewed by a consultant psychiatrist in the first week and we can diagnose and provide treatment for a number of co-occurring mental health conditions.
- How Long Is the Treatment Programme?
Our treatment programme starts at 4 weeks and is flexible in length, giving you the opportunity to extend for a longer period if you need it.
Smarmore, Ardee, Co. Louth, A92 YY22, Ireland
+353 (0) 41 214 5111