Smarmore Castle follows the Castle Craig Model of addiction treatment, which is founded on a solid evidence base. Research produced by numerous studies indicates that residential rehabilitation is the best form of care for people with alcohol or drug addiction, and a strong theoretical foundation underpins our treatment philosophy.The treatment programme that we provide hinges on evidence-based therapies.
Although a new addiction centre, Smarmore Castle follows the same clinically proven treatment model as Castle Craig, our partner establishment based in Scotland. Studies of patient outcomes for this treatment programme demonstrate its high success rates for ensuring long-lasting abstinence from drugs and alcohol.
The following studies were conducted with former patients of Castle Craig. These results are applicable to Smarmore Castle as it follows the same clinically proven treatment model.
Outcomes from a Cohort of Patients at Castle Craig Hospital, 2015
- 73.4% of former patients of Castle Craig were completely abstinent from drugs or alcohol at the time of follow-up (around one year after end of treatment).
- 91.8% of former patients either had reduced drug or alcohol use or were completely abstinent.
- 81.6% were classified as a “good outcome” by independent verifiers.
- These results indicate the success of our treatment. The study was carried out using scientifically approved methods and was verified by independent reviewers.
Outcomes from a Cohort of Patients at Castle Craig Hospital, 2010
- 61% of former Castle Craig patients contacted were totally abstinent from drugs or alcohol at time of follow-up (67 weeks after end of treatment)
- 89% of former patients were either completely abstinent or using drugs and alcohol less
Outcome Study for cocaine addicted patients at Castle Craig Hospital, 2007
- 66% of former patients were completely abstinent from alcohol or drugs at time of follow-up (3-5 years after end of treatment)
- 84% of former patients were either completely abstinent or using drugs and alcohol less
Patient satisfaction survey 2015
Castle Craig surveyed 250 former patients between July and December 2015. Of those questioned, 98% classified their treatment as either excellent, very good or good.
Categories which received excellent, very good or good feedback from over 90% of former patients included nursing care (95%), detoxification (97%), individual therapy and group therapy (99%), staff support and family therapy (100%).
At Smarmore Castle, we closely replicate both the treatment model and facilities offered by Castle Craig. Therefore, we have every hope that our residential rehabilitation programme is just as effective. In time, we will conduct and publish our own patient outcome surveys to illustrate this.