Safe & Expert Addiction Treatment & Detox
Aromatherapy uses essential oils extracted from plants and herbs which can be inhaled or applied through the skin. Aromas and oils from these natural sources have been shown in clinical studies to positively affect the body’s natural ability to balance and regulate itself.
Plant oils have been used as therapy and cosmetics for thousands of years with records dating back to ancient Egypt, China and India. Aromatherapy reduces drug and alcohol withdrawal symptoms
The mind, body, spirit and sense of wellbeing can be enhanced by the use of fragrant essential oils.
These naturally extracted aromatic essences can:
- Reduce drug and alcohol withdrawal symptoms,
- Improve the immune system,
- Aid digestion,
- Reduce physical pain,
- Improve blood pressure,
- Reduce stress,
- Aid sleep,
- Reduces anxiety,
- Restores well-being.
We have noticed improvements in those suffering from generalised anxiety disorder, stress and depressive disorders.
We may include aromatherapy in individual treatment plans, depending on availability and referral by either medical or therapeutic staff.
Get Help and Advice for Your Addiction Today
The Process of Aromatherapy
- When oils are inhaled, the olfactory system (responsible for sensing smells) is stimulated.
- This causes a signal to be transferred to the brain’s limbic system that controls emotions and stores and retrieves learned memories.
- The signal triggers chemicals to be released; these are thought to have different effects causing either relaxation or stimulation. The gentle massage often used to apply oils to the skin tends to have a relaxing effect.
- This process can help reduce anxiety, depression, stress, insomnia, pain, digestive problems, as well as menstrual and menopausal issues.
Download our Brochure
Although the scientific evidence for this type of therapy is limited, there is considerable anecdotal evidence which supports it.
At Castle Craig, our sister clinic in Scotland, independent evaluation in a test group found the following:
- 67% stated that aromatherapy – “Helped me to relax my body and calm my mind”
- 20-25% of the group commented that aromatherapy helped relieve stress and tension, assisted with sleeping problems, and that it was something to look forward to.
- 95% of patients expressed their desire to continue with aromatherapy when they leave treatment.
The only suggestion for improvement was for aromatherapy provision to be extended and it is clear from the positive and detailed responses that all patients who had received aromatherapy had benefitted considerably.
- How to Access Rehab With Health Insurance
For those experiencing existing mental health conditions in Ireland, there are private medical insurers who can help you cover treatment. As addiction experts, we know that receiving the appropriate care and support when you have a mental health disorder is pivotal to attaining long-lasting recovery. Below, we will go through the various health insurance options to help you understand your options when it comes to seeking private residential care for substance abuse. Please note that there is no guarantee that you can be covered for all addiction problems as policies are always assessed on a case-by-case basis. Find Out More
- My Loved One Doesn’t Want Help, What Do I Do?
You can’t force someone to go to rehab. At the end of the day, it needs to be their decision because they are the ones that need to be open to turning their lives around. There are ways in which you can encourage someone to enter treatment, one of these ways is via an intervention with a trained interventionist, who facilitates an honest discussion between family members and the addict. This is something Smarmore Castle can arrange – contact us today.
- Which Drugs Does Smarmore Castle Detox From?
- How Long Is the Treatment Programme?
Our treatment programme starts at 4 weeks and is flexible in length, giving you the opportunity to extend for a longer period if you need it.
- Do You Treat Dual Diagnosis?
All patients are reviewed by a consultant psychiatrist in the first week and we can diagnose and provide treatment for a number of co-occurring mental health conditions.
- Do I Need to Be Abstinent Before Admission?
Our medically managed detoxification with 24/7 medical cover means that we can perform complete and complex detoxes at Smarmore Castle. You don’t need to be abstinent before arrival.
- How Do I Get To Rehab Safely?
Smarmore Castle is one hour north of Dublin international airport, please speak to our advisors if you require collection from an airport.
We can also arrange a ‘sober transport’ service with a trusted driver, from anywhere in Ireland or Northern Ireland, at an additional cost.