Smarmore Castle Drug & Alcohol Rehab
What is Psychosis?
Heavy and chronic use of drugs such as cocaine and amphetamines can result in psychotic experiences.If you or someone close to you is suffering from drug induced psychosis, we can help arrange a quick admission.
Psychosis is a distorted connection with reality, whereby an individual experiences imaginary sensory stimuli as if they were real. A person suffering from psychosis cannot distinguish between the “real world” and their own perceptions which are distorted by delusions and/or hallucinations.
- Hallucinations are the experience of seeing, hearing or smelling stimuli that is not present in reality. For example, people suffering schizophrenia frequently experience auditory hallucinations in the form of hearing voices in their heads.
- Delusions, meanwhile, are beliefs that are self-evidently false. For example, someone with schizophrenia may believe that the government is trying to have them killed; a person with bipolar disorder may have delusions of grandeur whereby they believe they are more powerful or richer than they actually are. Psychosis is present in a number of psychological disorders.
Why Do Some Drugs Cause Psychosis?
Some hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD, mescaline, psilocybin mushrooms, and some forms of cannabis can drastically alter normal sensory processing. However, all drugs disrupt the transmission of neurotransmitters within brain areas that are responsible for sensory processing. Over time, the repeated disruption of these neural pathways can lead heavy users to experience drug induced psychosis.
Quick Assessment & Admissions
Our Treatment for Drug Addiction and Psychosis
Patients suffering from drug or alcohol induced psychosis require help immediately. The residential rehabilitation treatment programme offered at Smarmore, including Consultant Psychiatrist led therapeutic and medical care, is the most intensive form of treatment for this complex disorder.
At Smarmore Castle, we prescribe each patient a personalised treatment plan according to their drug use profile and corresponding medical and psychological needs.
Download our Brochure
Get Help for Drug-Induced Psychosis
- How to Access Rehab With Health Insurance
For those experiencing existing mental health conditions in Ireland, there are private medical insurers who can help you cover treatment. As addiction experts, we know that receiving the appropriate care and support when you have a mental health disorder is pivotal to attaining long-lasting recovery. Below, we will go through the various health insurance options to help you understand your options when it comes to seeking private residential care for substance abuse. Please note that there is no guarantee that you can be covered for all addiction problems as policies are always assessed on a case-by-case basis. Find Out More
- My Loved One Doesn’t Want Help, What Do I Do?
You can’t force someone to go to rehab. At the end of the day, it needs to be their decision because they are the ones that need to be open to turning their lives around. There are ways in which you can encourage someone to enter treatment, one of these ways is via an intervention with a trained interventionist, who facilitates an honest discussion between family members and the addict. This is something Smarmore Castle can arrange – contact us today.
- Which Drugs Does Smarmore Castle Detox From?
- How Long Is the Treatment Programme?
Our treatment programme starts at 4 weeks and is flexible in length, giving you the opportunity to extend for a longer period if you need it.
- Do You Treat Dual Diagnosis?
All patients are reviewed by a consultant psychiatrist in the first week and we can diagnose and provide treatment for a number of co-occurring mental health conditions.
- Do I Need to Be Abstinent Before Admission?
Our medically managed detoxification with 24/7 medical cover means that we can perform complete and complex detoxes at Smarmore Castle. You don’t need to be abstinent before arrival.
- How Do I Get To Rehab Safely?
Smarmore Castle is one hour north of Dublin international airport and we can arrange a driver to collect you and bring you straight to us for free.
We can also arrange a ‘sober transport’ service with a trusted driver, from anywhere in Ireland or Northern Ireland, at an additional cost.
Smarmore, Ardee, Co. Louth, A92 YY22, Ireland
+353 (0) 41 214 5111