Employees with drug and alcohol problems can negatively affect businesses in a number of different ways:Call Us for Help with your Employee
- Productivity: One of addiction’s greatest costs to the company is the loss of productivity. Long-term addiction problems take a toll on both the quantity and quality of the employee’s work. It will damage the employee’s ability to concentrate, as well as their memory, and their judgment.
- Negative effects on relationships: Being intoxicated at work can lead employees to behave inappropriately within the professional environment. This can place strain on relationships between colleagues. Client relationships can also be put at risk.
- Emotional Fallout: The employee’s work performance can also be affected by disruptions to their home life as a result of their addictive behaviour.
- Staff Morale: If the behaviour of the employee is ignored within the office, this can have a negative impact on office morale.
- Sick Days: Absenteeism caused by drug or alcohol abuse costs the company money.
- Health Problems: Prolonged alcohol or drug abuse can lead to a wide variety of serious health problems. These can include liver problems, high blood pressure and cognitive impairment. As alcohol is a depressant, it can cause the employee to be irritable with their colleagues, as well as other mood disorders.
- Safety: Just a small amount of alcohol will lead to impairment in reaction time, and coordination. Therefore, addiction problems could be extremely dangerous for employees working with machinery.
Adapted from ‘Taking care of alcohol issues at work’ by: Dr. Michael G. McCann MD MA DIH MFOM, Board of Directors, Castle Craig Hospital.
Our admissions team is available 24/7 to answer your questions about the workplace and drug or alcohol problems among your staff. Our residential rehab clinic near Dublin provides intensive, inpatient treatment where your employee can regain their sobriety and revitalise their career.